Re: GTE to acquire BBN

  • From: Eric D. Madison
  • Date: Tue May 06 15:18:03 1997

That's very true, GTE is very lacking in customer service, but not as bad
as some of the RBOC's.  GTE used to be a good phone company, I know, I
used to work for them, but since they have started contracting out all of
it's outside plant operations they have really went down hill.  GTE buying
some large NSP shouldn't come to any surprise to anyone though.  GTE is
still the largest LEC in the US (barring the NYNEX/Bell Atlantic merger).
Eventually all the large NSP's will be bought by a facilities based
carrier, it is the only economical way to offer service and be
competitive.
   Don't be surprised if some other large NSP's get acquired in the near
future.  Free enterprise is and always has been based on the motto, "If
you can't compete with a company, buy it."  It's the same thing that has
been happening in the Software/Hardware world.

One question though, did GTE acquire BBN totally, or just Planet/Saturn?
BBN is mainly research, BBN Planet and BBN Saturn is just part of the BBN
company as a whole.

Eric

      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
 ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: [email protected]