Re: Multicast

  • From: Matt Ranney
  • Date: Tue May 06 14:07:00 1997

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Aleph One wrote:

>    Morning all. I was wonderign if anyone could comment on how deployed is
> multicast routing in real-world networks. How many of you have enabled
> multicast routing in your core routers? Do you offer this as a service to

All the sites that I'm familiar with are still using tunnels.  Some of
those tunnels might be homed on dedicated routers instead of a
Unix/mrouted machine, but I'd be somewhat suprised if anybody ran
native multicast in their core routers.

People pay for unicast traffic, and its not worth messing up that
unicast traffic for a fun multicast experiment that'll crash your
router or run it out of memory ever other day.
--
Matt Ranney - [email protected]

This is how I sign all my messages.