RE: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Dave Hughes
  • Date: Sat May 03 21:00:20 1997

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Gordon Cook wrote:

> Peter lothberg expressed the intent of the majors quite well ...... a
> handful of huge players worldwide..... (5 to 8?)  and everyone else a
> customer.
>
> that's NOT the internet I want to see.

The 'majors' would be damn fools to try and dominate completely. I can
think of nothing which will subject them to government regulation faster -
led by Congress - than striving to exercise total economic control of the
net. Especially when government itself uses the net to reach the people,
and vice versa, and the swing of the mood is toward competition in the
communications marketplace, not concentration.

Who thinks otherwise? "Those [engineers?] who don't know history, are
doomed to repeat it."

Dave Hughes
(who is not in this newsgroup, but is happy to post anyway)