Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Larry_Vaden
  • Date: Fri May 02 22:12:32 1997
  • Posted-date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:03:56 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:42 AM 5/2/97 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

>Trying to extort money to peer is exactly that - extortion.
>
>Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity

I asked our telecommunications attorney, who bats 1000 in such matters,
about the issues involved.  His reply:

>The action is probably anticompetitive.  The problem is that the anti-trust
>laws are so hard, costly and time-consuming to enforce in civil matters,
>and for criminal you must get the state or federal authorities interested.
>
>To obtain relief you have to show intent and ability to monopolize.  This
>is not a price squeeze -- to the contrary.  You have to show concerted
>action.  Market power.  Damages.
>
>Notwithstanding my statement above about the authorities, I'd recommend all
>who are concerned go to the justice department and seek an investigation.
>That or even the threat often mitigates behavior.

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                       help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net>    direct line 903-870-0365
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland           fax 903-868-8551
Member of TISPA and ISP/C                              pager 903-867-6571