Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Fri May 02 14:11:17 1997

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Wayne Bouchard wrote:
> Well, this goes into "cutting off peers means your customers can't
> access mine." There's two problems with this: First, the key point is
> YOU can't access THEIRS without buying transit. Most ISPs aren't gonna
> permit this loss of connectivity and will buy transit.. it just won't

The problem is that if you buy transit you may be in violation of other
peering agreements that say your routes can not be viewed from any other
AS. Even if you were able to keep people like BBN and MCI to peer after
you had transit setup, who are you going to get it from? If you pick
Sprint, MCI, ANS, BBN, etc you will then not be able to peer with them.

This is sad, because I and other have spent millions on our networks to
build a DS3/OC3 network and connect to all the NAPs. Now that we have done
that we have people like uunet who have been peering with us for years
saying bye bye.

> be from the company that pulls the plug. Lets also note who its gonna
> hurt more... the company with fewer customer sites that need to get
> accessed. The complaint ratio between the two groups are gonna be
> wholly lopsided. The smaller ISP will receive far more complaints than
> the larger one.

Depends on the traffic flow, I.E. I have MUCH more traffic going from my
network to uunet then my customer getting info from uunet. We don't do a
lot of dialup or types of access that suck from other providers. The other
providers like uunet are all getting more traffic then they are sending.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16