Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Tim Flavin
  • Date: Fri May 02 11:24:18 1997

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Mark E Larson wrote:

> At 02:32 AM 5/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
> > 3 - One of my upstream providers claims that Sprint pulled peering
> > abruptly on them this morning without any warning and is now charging
> > them $X (where X is a large number) to peer. Has this happened to anyone
> > else, is it a Sprint policy to always charge for new peers, etc?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >-Tung-Hui Hu
> > [email protected]
> >

> But for the big boys, they are loosing money.  They have to put up huge
> amounts of bandwidth at the exchanges, so people can transverse their
> network free of charge.  In a business sense, where is the cost
> justification here?
>
> Mark E Larson
> Senior Network Architect
> RUSTnet Inc.

Isn't this the point of paying the UUnet, MCI, RUSTnet NSP for transit?
Each network has been paid by it's customer to carry data, in or out
of their network if need be.

If a end user that happens to have choosen connectivity other than UUnet
wants to view the web pages of one of my clients, I've already paid UUnet
to carry that traffic, but now UUnet wants more from the peer to let that
traffic pass to their network. Sounds like being paid twice to carry the
same packets.

I have logged a complaint with UUnet about this and have stated my pending
order for a DS3 from them will be reconcidered if they make the choice to
peer for a fee.  I was also called by a UUnet exec this morning and they
say there will be a statement coming on Monday.

Tim Flavin              Internet Access for St Louis & Chicago
Internet 1st, Inc       Toll Free Sales & Support 800-875-3173
http://www.i1.net       For more information email [email protected]