Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Matthew E. Pearson
  • Date: Fri May 02 08:37:37 1997

At 06:43 AM 5/2/97 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

>Buying connectivity from an ISP who peers with UUNET, or buying direct
>from UUNET, is a lot cheaper then building a national DS-3/OC-3 backbone
>and trying to be default free - this is not about UUNET cuting throats,
>it's about large and small ISP's examining thier business model.

Explain to me how it is cheaper to pay UUNET for a full DS3 from
Boston-Washington, Wasington to Chicago, Washington to San Jose, Chicago to
San Jose, Washington to NYC at $60,000 each not including telco or transit.
Than it is to pay a telco alone for just the lines? I'd love to see how the
numbers work out on that!

If your plan is to sell connectivity nationwide or semi-nationwide it is
absurdly more expensive to use UUNET than to do it yourself.

Yes, if you are a local ISP and never intend to sell anything outside of
your area, it -MIGHT- possibly be cheaper. However, at $60,000 per DS3
circuit not including telco/transit as opposed to even a $25,000 WorldComm
circuit -END TO END- I still don't see how the math works, unless you are a
UUNET reseller which wouldn't explain why you are building a network yourself.

Matthew E. Pearson
Vice President of Development
Games-Online Inc.
http://www.games-online.com