Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them withcharging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Jack Rickard
  • Date: Fri May 02 01:31:21 1997

I'm picturing a kind of "UUNET Disconnects from Internet" type of headline.
 This NDA thing has got me shut down.  John Sidgemore won't talk to me.
Ok, let's go public.  What do you guys know?  As usual in Boardwatch, we'll
all pretend I had a dream last night and made it all up.  I don't know what
I'm talking about, yata yata yata.... e-mail privately.  I hallucinated it
as always...

Jack Rickard

Jack Rickard            				8500 West Bowles Ave, Ste 210
Editor/Publisher					Littleton, CO 80123
Boardwatch Magazine				(303)973-6038 voice
http://www.boardwatch.com			(303)973-3731 fax

----------
> From: Matthew E. Pearson <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them
withcharging under non-disclosure?
> Date: Friday, May 02, 1997 9:54 PM
>
> At 10:46 PM 5/1/97 -0400, Gordon Cook wrote:
> >I have just had a phone call from a particpant in the news conference of
> >the well. What UUNET is doing to many of its peers, including the Well,
is
> >now clear. According to my caller, Dave Hughes, it has served notice to
> >many if not most of its peers that, in late May and early June, it will
> >either terminate their peering session or that the peers will have to
> >start paying for the privilege. How much will be charged and under what
> >conditions is unknown.  Why? Because the unfortunate peers either have
> >**sign non disclosure agreements before** they even sit down with UUNET
or
> >simply be cut off.
>
> Now how pathetic is this? UUNET one of the original pioneers of the
> Commercial Internet, one of the Flagships of open systems, standards, and
> connectivity now wants to extort money from other networks for peering?
As
> if they don't make enough money. Gee wouldn't it really suck for all of
> UUNet's customers and MSN etc if a company like ConXion no longer had
UUNET