Re: TISPA anti-spam group to be formed

  • From: System Administrator
  • Date: Thu May 01 23:04:27 1997

Just FYI, one of our customers is currently under attack by a AGIS
customer I84.NET, using compuserver to generate bounced email to
Infocom.net.  Since we are a MX backup site for them is is also causing
us problems.  I have had to block Compuserve's access to our systems
because they have no one on duty in there Network operations center.
None of compuserve's phone numbers in their ASN contact domain contact
or IP block contacts provide access to a 24hour operations center.

In message <[email protected]>, Gene Crick writes:

>as list members now know, Turning Point Information Systems (a charter
>member of TISPA), was/is the target of hundreds of thousands of CyberPromo
>spam messages, many illegally remailed using forged headers, etc.  This
>massive assault has caused heavy pressures and numerous problems for them.
>
>Spam problems like these are unlikely to go away soon, or cure themselves.
>
>So Jim Koen, president of Turning Point, has agreed to coordinate efforts
>to collect information and provide a forum for any ISPs interested in
>protecting their companies and customers from unsolicited advertising
>email.  Results will probably be maintained as a TISPA reference webpage.
>
>Right now Jim is up to his routers in CyberPromotions' junk mail, but as
>soon as he has a little more free time, TISPA asks anyone interested in
>the topic to let Jim know and help him develop this shared information
>project for TISPA members.  His address is [email protected]
>
>Thanks, Jim.  I think this could make a real difference in protecting ISPs
>from the greedy, malicious tactics of Cyberpromotions.
>
>								- gc -

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      [email protected]
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net