UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

  • From: Gordon Cook
  • Date: Thu May 01 22:58:44 1997

I have just had a phone call from a particpant in the news conference of
the well. What UUNET is doing to many of its peers, including the Well, is
now clear. According to my caller, Dave Hughes, it has served notice to
many if not most of its peers that, in late May and early June, it will
either terminate their peering session or that the peers will have to
start paying for the privilege. How much will be charged and under what
conditions is unknown.  Why? Because the unfortunate peers either have to
**sign non disclosure agreements before** they even sit down with UUNET or
simply be cut off.

I first heard an opaque reference to this from a nationally known figure a
couple of months ago. In the last 10 days I have heard separately and
privately from three different people one of whom is directly affected. I
asked him to call me. He never did. Now I think I understand why. Hughes
said that David (?) Hollub who is responsible for the Well's connectivity
and has just been fired by Bruce Katz the well's owner has revealed in a
well conference what UUNET is doing and that the story made it into the
wall street journal today.

I will be sending Hughes a summary understanding of what I think this
means that he will post on the Well inviting national journalists to call
me for whatever information/insight I can give them into the story. I
would especially like to begin hearing from those directly affected.
Please detail very precisely what restrictions you place on the
information you send me.

First it was AGIS (but who cares about AGIS?). Now UUNET. Tomorrow who?
MCI? As UUNET and others of the big five move to consolidate their
markets.......... let UUNET put the smaller national backbones against the
wall and whom do the rest of ISP's have to rely on?   Those ISPs who did
not get hit in UUNET's first round of cuts. Will you get it in the neck in
the second or the third round?

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: [email protected]             On line speech of critics under
attack by Ewing NJ School Board, go to http://cookreport.com/sboard.shtml