Re: Read this...Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Apr 26 17:04:52 1997

On Sat, Apr 26, 1997 at 01:54:04PM -0400, Carl Oppedahl wrote:
> At 04:31 PM 04/26/97 -0400, Vince Wolodkin wrote:
>
> >The only
> >thing NSI has truly done that is awful is their TM dispute policy, and
> >the IAHC has taken that very thing under its own wing.
>
> Unfortunately for the Internet community, NSI has made it clear that it
> doesn't plan to yield any control over .COM to anyone else, ever:
>
>         Networks Solutions seemed more definite. "It is not our
>         intention to share .com or the others [domains] we
>         register," Network Solutions spokesman
>         Christopher Clough said. "Those would obviously [be]
>         assets that we've developed . . . much as Microsoft
>         wouldn't share DOS," its proprietary software.
>         Network Solutions favors competition, but only in the
>         registration of new types of domains, Clough said.
>
>         (Network Solutions Dropped as Registrar Of Internet
>         Domains, By David S. Hilzenrath, April 24 1997; The Washington Post.)
>
> Thus, it seems likely that (barring a shift in control over .COM) NSI would
> continue forever, carrying out its awful policy and putting innocent domain
> name owners out of business.
>
> The only way that innocent domain name owners will have the cloud of NSI's
> awful domain name policy lifted from their heads is if indeed the control
> over .COM shifts elsewhere.  So far as I can see, the most likely way for
> that to happen is if IAHC's plans move forward and are put into place.

Total nonsense.

The eDNS open market system solves this problem by allowing people to choose
the dispute resolution system which matches their preference.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal