Mixed analogies - was(Network Solutions Dropped...)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Thu Apr 24 15:46:54 1997

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Aleph One wrote:

> Networks Solutions seemed more definite. "It is
> not our intention to share .com or the others [domains] we
> register," Network Solutions spokesman
> Christopher Clough said. "Those would obviously [be] assets that
> we've developed . . . much as Microsoft
> wouldn't share DOS," its proprietary software.

Perhaps a better analogy would be an OS like BSD which was developped
partially with NSF funding. Or Linux which also has NSF funded components.
Of course, those are both being shared ...

There's really no reason any of us should be worried about NSI and the
IAHC competing for domain name registries. But NSI is also pushing for
control over the root domain (.) and if things get too heated up over that
dispute we really could see a partition of the Internet at the DNS level.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]