Re: Response from Cyber Promotions (fwd)

  • From: Steve Noble
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 13:13:56 1997

Hello :)

	This letter looks exactly like the one that AGIS sent me when i complained
about personally receiving unsolicited SPAM from their network, note that i
NEVER got a real reply, only this canned letter.

Let's take a look :

>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>Thank you for taking the time to write to Cyber Promotions with your
concerns.

>Please be aware that this mailbox ([email protected]) is read by many
>people in our company, including our senior management. The fact that your
>message garners e-mail from an auto-responder is to insure a timely response.
>It should not be an indication of a lack of consideration or concern.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write to AGIS with your concerns.

Please be aware that this mailbox ([email protected]) is read by our entire
company, including our senior management. The fact that your message
garners e-mail from an auto-responder is to insure a timely response.  It
should not be an indication of a lack of consideration or concern.

>CYBER PROMOTIONS' POSITION ON ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY FOR INTERNET CONTENT
>Cyber provides email services to a large number of customers, whom
>are supporting thousands of end users.
>
>It is our position that the Internet is an open marketplace, where
>commerce of any and all kinds may take place in accordance with public
>demand.  We do not believe censorship is the responsibility of an Internet
>service provider.  It is not our place to censor customers' content or
>legitimate business practices.  Messages originating from customer sites
>reflect the opinions of our customers and not necessarily those of
>Cyber Promotions.

AGIS' POSITION ON ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY FOR INTERNET CONTENT
AGIS provides Internet connectivity to a large number of customers, whom
are supporting millions of end users.  As a global service provider, we
provide circuits for Internet backbone connectivity.  We do not offer
connectivity directly to end-users.

It is our position that the Internet is an open marketplace, where
commerce of any and all kinds may take place in accordance with public
demand.  We do not believe censorship is the responsibility of an Internet
service provider.  It is not our place to censor customers' content or
legitimate business practices.  Messages originating from customer sites
reflect the opinions of our customers and not necessarily those of AGIS.

>SUGGESTIONS
>Cyber is a pro-active organization with goals of delivering the highest
>quality email solutions.  Since we believe in continuous improvement, we
>will re-evaluate our position in light of the any new regulatory
developments.

>We appreciate that our position may not be agreeable to everyone.  Further,
>we understand your interest in seeking a solution.  With that in mind, may
>we suggest the following options:

SUGGESTIONS
AGIS is a pro-active organization with goals of delivering the highest
quality solutions in support of the Internet's mission critical
applications.  Since we believe in continuous improvement, we will
re-evaluate our position in light of the any new regulatory developments.

We appreciate that our position may not be agreeable to everyone.  Further,
we understand your interest in seeking a solution.  With that in mind, may
we suggest the following options:

>- END-USERs - A variety of e-mail and filtering software packages are
>available on the Internet for end-users.  For example, Eudora and procmail
>offer sufficient protection from e-mail of your undesired Internet sites.
>Or you can use the latest in filtering software, e-Filter, sold on
>Cyber's own web page at... http://www.cyberpromo.com
(note - the fact that cybernation has the gaul to sell you a product to
protect you against their unsolicited and costly use of your e-mail makes
me sick)

- END-USERs - A variety of e-mail and filtering software packages are
available on the Internet for end-users.  For example, Eudora and procmail
offer sufficient protection from e-mail of your undesired Internet sites.

>- ISPs - Your mail servers and/or router systems can be set to reject
>incoming spam or filter out offensive sites at the IP level.  Sendmail and
>ccmail are a few examples of good systems which perform these functions.
>
>Again, we would like to thank you for your valuable input, and wish you
>continued success in your Internet experience.

- ISPs - Your mail servers and/or router systems to can be set to reject

- Also, visit http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ for some more helpful hints.

Again, we would like to thank you for your valuable input, and wish you
continued success in your Internet experience.

>Best Regards,
>
>        The Cyber Promotions Staff

Best Regards,

        The AGIS Staff

... Well it seems to me that AGIS and Cyber Promotions have almost exactly
the same view on SPAM and its acceptability and their accountability (taken
from the fact that their letters are pretty much the same sans the name
switch and a few additions/subtractions).
Anyways.. just my .02$ :)

	Steve