Re: Ad Hoc, eDNS, AlterNIC and the bunch

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Thu Apr 10 12:35:12 1997

At 11:02 AM -0500 4/10/97, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
>If the Internet Ad Hoc society actually does convince everyone to switch
>over, then there is a major problem. Does this mean any group of people
>who wants to make rules and can get enough publicity can make it happen

	I'm not sure what "switch over" you refer to.  The IAHC work that
you refer to was done at the request and with the approval of IANA, the
responsible agent for the existing DNS root.  Implementation of the IAHC
plan does not require changing the communities use of roots (i.e., no
re-targeting) and the only change to the existing roots is the addition of
some top-level domain points.  Addition of TLDs has been done many times
over the years.

d/

Dave Crocker, Director                                       +1 408 246 8253
Internet Mail Consortium                                 (f) +1 408 249 6205
127 Segre Place                                             [email protected]
Santa Cruz, CA  95060 USA                                 http://www.imc.org

Also: IAHC member, expressing personal opinions          http://www.iahc.org