ARINANOG

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 19:24:31 1997
  • Encoding: 91 TEXT

[1] As a reminder, there is an ARIN mailing list available from
	http://www.arin.net.

[2] I hope that this NANOG discussion gets reflected on the ARIN
	mailing list because some people may be following that
	list and may falsely conclude that the "Internet community"
	supports ARIN with "broad consensus" when in fact they
	have not really seen the discussions about ARIN which
	are held on other lists, in other meetings, in Hong Kong, etc.

[3] The reasons for creating ARIN have nothing to do with the words
	reflected in the ARIN proposal. This nonsense about DNS
	funding IP and vice versa are not the core issues any more
	than an ISP debating how dial-up subsidizes leased lines
	or vice versa.

[4] If ARIN is such a great idea why don't the proposed founders
	quit their comfortable jobs, give up their benefits and
	U.S. Government funding and start ARIN ? That is what
	other people do when they want to start a business.
	Before doing that, why don't the founders get ISPs to
	sign subscription agreements agreeing to fund the
	enterprise and therefore money will not be an issue
	because the companies that sign up will fund the
	effort. In fact, some of the people on NANOG claim that
	people are always throwing money at them. Why don't
	those people step forward to bank-roll ARIN ?

[5] Once ARIN is launched, why doesn't ARIN petition the
	NSF/InterNIC/IANA for a /8 to manage ? Given that
	some people think that ARIN is such a great idea,
	this should not take long, especially if the "right"
	people are on the ARIN board of directors.

[6] If NANOG members think that ARIN is such a great idea
	why not just pull the activity into NANOG and call
	the thing ARINANOG and get on with it ?

@@@@ http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/html/nanog/msg02405.html

Re: ARIN is A Good Thing