Re: Anti-SPAM announcement from AT&T Worldnet

  • From: Lon R. Stockton, Jr.
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 19:24:27 1997

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Jonathan Clark wrote:

> ``We have reserved the right to treat such mail any way we deem appropriate,''.
> This may include actually delivering it, but in the vast majority
> of cases I do not expect the mail to reach its intended destination(s).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the
Electronic Communications Act of 1986 (?) makes it quite illegal to screw
around with mail that you have accepted for delivery. You have the option
of not accepting it at all, but once you accept a piece of mail destined
for someone, you're obligated to make a best effort to deliver it.

You can't reserve a right that you don't have to begin with, even if you
are AT&T.