Re: NAPs - Temperature vs Packet loss

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Mar 28 17:08:46 1997

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Darren Kerr wrote:

> > Boone Boulevard MAE-East is currently running very hot. Intake temp
> > on our router has been up to 40 degrees today, and output at 70.

70 degrees!!! This is pushing the limit for reliable operation of
electronic equipment. I know I have frequently solved problems with all
sorts of equipment (computers, modems, terminal servers, routers) by
dropping the ambient room temperature to below the level where it is
comfortable for people to work, i.e. around 15 degrees. or by adding fans
internally or externally.

I think that ambient temperatures at the tops of the racks and at the
room's outflow vents should be specified in IXP agreements along with
a protocol for dealing with this kind of problem. And most especially,
this needs to be properly engineered from the start.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]