Re: Domain Rant.

  • From: Steve Kann
  • Date: Fri Mar 21 13:18:47 1997

Karl Denninger writes:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 1997 at 12:07:54PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Karl Denninger writes:
> > > No it doesn't.
> > >
> > > If you register with someone, pay them, and they claim never to have
> > > received payment you're just as screwed.
> >
> > No, you aren't. Today, if someone does that, you are stuck.
>
> Boiled down: You pay again.
>
> > In the new
> > model, you will be able to switch to another registrar. Competition,
> > you know.
>
> Boiled down: You pay again.
>
> What was that difference again?
>
> I know you're good at trying to avoid facts, but this is rediculous!

Cute, but we both know that you are avoiding the point.

Here's the point, in three sentences:

a. There is very little than can be done about companies providing
substandard service, or even screwing you over, when they have a
monopolistic stranglehold on you.

b. In your "eDNS" model, registrars have this stranglehold on you, because
you you cannot switch to the services of a newer (better) registrar
without having to also change domain names.

c. With the IAHC plan, if a registrar is providing unsatisfactory service,
you can switch registrars, while keeping the same domain name.

-SteveK

--
     Steve Kann   i/o 360 digital design   841 Broadway, Suite 502
  PGP 1024/C0145E05  F2 D6 24 83 9E 52 9A 61  AA BB 97 61 5C A1 B8 CE