Re: Domain Rant.

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu Mar 20 23:53:44 1997

On Thu, Mar 20, 1997 at 08:06:16PM -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > > IAHC's proposal fixes the problem folks are seeing with NS today.
> >
> > No it doesn't.
> >
> > If you register with someone, pay them, and they claim never to have
> > received payment you're just as screwed.  They hold or delete your
> > record and you end up paying again.
>
> My understanding is that the precise protocol used to register a new name
> has not been frozen yet. This issue can be addressed if CORE requires a
> non-repudiable transaction from a registrar in order to register a domain
> or to update its payment status.
>
> And even if the IAHC were so foolish as to not consider this possibility
> they certainly did create a Policy Oversight Committee that can change
> procedures at any time.

So what?

The registrar claims you haven't paid and didn't submit the non-repudiable
transaction (because they claim it didn't happen).  You have a cancelled
check.

This is precisely the situation people are claiming is happening to them.

Again, the problem isn't payments being posted that didn't happen, its
payments made which *didn't get posted*.  Non-repudiation doesn't help
this situation; that's a control on *positive* events, not ones which
people claim didn't occur.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "[email protected]" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal