Re: consistent policy != consistent announcements

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Fri Mar 14 12:30:18 1997

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Alan Barrett wrote:

> The topology we are discussing:

>                   /   \
>                  A     B      * Peer link
>                  |     *      | Customer link
>                  RRRRRRR
>           Point1 *     * Point2
>                  VVVVVVV
>
> M might very well have requested R to consider the paths "R A M" and "R
> B M" to be equally good, and M doesn't care that A is a customer of R
> but B is not a customer of R.  It's perfectly reasonable for R to accede
> to M's wishes in this regard.

	M and A have no direct relationship in this picture so I don't
see why M would be making requests to R. R should normally be preferring
customer links to peer links.

	I think it's reasonable of V to demand that if R wishes to treat
M in such an unusual way, R consider all of M's routes customer routes.
Otherwise R cannot present a consistent picture to V because R's policy
is not consistent (preferring a customer route on one side and a peer
route on the other).

	DS