Re: consistent policy != consistent announcements

  • From: Vince Fuller
  • Date: Thu Mar 13 22:30:49 1997
  • Phone: (415) 528-7227
  • Usmail: 3801 East Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

    At 11:31 AM -0800 3/13/97, Vince Fuller wrote:
    >Well, if that "candidate path" is, in fact, one of Randy's customer, then
    >I would expect him to "cold-potato" route toward it.  One would think that
    >to be part of the service that his customer is purchasing.

    I think that his internal routing policy and service to his customer is
    really irrelevant to the question at hand, except insofar as its
    side-effects affect you.

Yup, it isn't my business to care about his internal routing, just to insure
that he presents appropriate routing to me (i.e. I care about the functional
specification not the design details...)

I was merely speculating, perhaps incorrectly, on what might be going wrong
so that I don't see what I consider consistant routes.

    Ah, I finally see the problem.  In essence, Randy's (announcement) policy
    assumes that a destination is either in the set of customer routes OR the
    set of peer routes, but not both.  But in this case we have a destination
    which is in both.  The side-effect ends up making you "cold-potato" route
    to destinatons in the (customer + peer) intersection.

    The question is, does it make sense for a destination to be considered to
    be in both sets?  If "peer" is supposed to mean "not-customer" then the
    answer is probably no, there is (should be) no intersection between
    "customer" and "not-customer".

See your objection above - I really don't care how the routes are handled
internally to Randy's net; I just want to see routes for the same prefixes
with equal preference (as path length, origin, etc.) at all interconnects.

	--Vince