Re: consistent policy != consistent announcements

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Thu Mar 13 16:29:08 1997

	Consider the case where a customer has two AS numbers and uses one
for his East Coast operations and one for his West Coast operations.
Since he only purchases transit, he can use his Internet connections to
back up his coast-to-coast link, which he normally prefers. Suppose he has
connections to a particular backbone on both coasts and wishes nearest
exit to be used.

	At MAE-E, this backbone will prefer the East Coast AS to reach
his IPs. At MAE-W, this backbone will prefer the West Caost AS to reach
his IPs. The BGP advertisements this backbone will make to its peers will
be 'inconsistent' but also 'optimal'.

	DS