Re: IP Address Assets

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 17:02:23 1997

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:

> It's important to go between scilla and charibda (sorry, I am not sure
> about spelling this names in English)

Scylla and Charybdis -- It comes from the Illiad or the Odyssey by Homer
and a more common English term is "between a rock and a hard place".

Scylla was a beautiful maiden that Circe turned into a horrendous monster.
This monster used to devour seamen including 6 of Ulysses companions until
she was turned into a rock. Charybdis was another monster that lived in a
whirlpool near this rock. It was a treacherous place and took great skill
to steer a boat between Scylla and Charybdis but Ulysses did succeed in
doing so.

> (it's not too great for the _big nabobs_ or for the old ISP but it's
> serious barrier for the small ISP in the small countries - let's imagine
> some ISP in the Georgia, for example, or some scientific institute in
> Armenia)...

Anyone in ex-SU will get IP address space from RIPE NCC
http://www.ripe.net or possibly from APNIC http://www.apnic.net if they
are in Asia. I'm not sure where the boundary for the two NIC's runs but
you can check their web pages or send them email. But everyone should
check the list of documents in the Recommended Reading section at
http://www.arin.net because they apply everywhere in the world.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]