re: class B for sale

  • From: Jim Browne
  • Date: Sun Mar 09 15:31:51 1997

At 11:27 -0800 3/9/97, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Brett L. Hawn wrote:
>
>> You purport to be leaders of the internet, then its about time you acted
>> like it and start to solve the problems instead of trying to make the
>> problems go away by being ignorant of reality.
>
>There are no leaders of the Internet.

Yes, there are no leaders, just rulers (IANA, InterNIC, etc.).  It's about
time the rulers started leading, or they will be ignored (seeming divine
right notwithstanding).

>The problems are *YOUR* problems and
>it is *YOUR* responsibility to solve them as much as anyone else's.

Wow, that sounds a lot like fingerpointing.  It's not my problem, it's
yours.  My network isn't losing packets, the NAPs are.  My peering
requirements are reasonable, yours aren't.  My HOL blocking isn't the
problem, your refusal to daisy chain a second non-working device is the
problem.  I'm sure that's not what you meant, Michael, but the wording is
rather ironic given the outcome of packet loss/performance discussions at
NANOG (yuk yuk).

>As always, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

The prevailing attitude here seems to be "If it's not my solution, you are
part of the problem."

The tendency of network operators in this arena to jump up and down
screaming "WAH WAH WAH WAH" with their fingers in their ears when problems
are pointed out is rather disturbing.  It seems that the "players" want to
present an appearance of cooperation to prevent regulation, yet I see no
effective cooperation.  (Yes, CAIDA people, I know you are trying.
However, I don't see the big six at http://compute.merit.edu/ipn.html.)

I'm beginning to think a little regulation will go a long way in correcting
this attitude.  Why shouldn't network metrics be standardized, published,
and audited by an independent agency?  Car manufacturers have to publish
results of their mandatory saftey tests.  I'm sure it is embarrasing as
hell when GM makes an alternator that shreds itself, or a window that
breaks too easily.  But, the public interest is served.  Does this analogy
hold for the Internet?  Well, when the network crashes (or provider A
blackholes provider B, or provider C dumps an OC3 of traffic onto a DS3) it
doesn't kill me, but it sure as hell costs me money... which is nearly as
bad.

Then again, if running a network was easy, it would be about as exciting as
running the cash register at your local Taco Bell.

Jim Browne                                                [email protected]om
   "Also shocking is just how bad Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie
    Fisher are in their first major roles." - CNN Film Critic Paul Tatara