Re: Class "B" forsale (fwd)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sun Mar 09 14:28:54 1997

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:
>
> > > I think you miss my point, since the ARIN is for all intents and purposes
> > > selling address space, who are they to say no?
> >
> > But ARIN is *NOT* selling address space. That is not the intent of ARIN
> > nor is it the purpose of ARIN. With that thought in mind, try reading
> > through the material at http://www.arin.net once again.
>
> Been there, read that, and I still say they're selling space, leasing space,
> auctioning space, etc. Fact of the matter is they are _CHARGING MONEY_ (not
> bannana peels) for services rendered. Their services are to hand out IP
> space and maintain databases, therefor they are SELLING space.

Here in Western Canada, when a piece of real estate is sold you have to
pay a registration fee to the Land Titles office to register the transfer
of ownership. This registration has the same legal force as a deed does in
Eastern Canada. However, in spite of the fact that the Land Titles office
is _CHARGING MONEY_ for services rendered, they are *NOT* selling real
estate. I think ARIN is in a similar position with regard to IP address
space as the Land Titles office. Of course like any analogy it should not
be pushed too far, but I should note that there are situations in which
the land titles office will not accept the transfer of ownership for any
one of a number of reasons, thus they are applying a policy that has been
set down by the community which they service.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]