RE: Class "B" forsale (fwd)

  • From: Jim Browning
  • Date: Sun Mar 09 14:03:40 1997
  • Encoding: 62 TEXT

Internet Service Providers provide a wide variety of services.  Among them
is loaning the use of IP addresses within the space allocated to them by
one of the registries.  Some providers are already charging for this
service, ostensibly to apply economic forces to the conservation of their
allocated space.  This practice will certainly increase when ARIN begins
charging registration fees.  If the owner of the Class B in question
allocates the vast bulk (let's say about 100%  :-) of the space allocated
to them to a single customer, it appears to me that even if this space is
inefficiently used (let's say about 0% initially  :-), the only recourse
the registry has is to withhold future allocations to the "seller".

In this case, I believe the seller could care less about that 'penalty', as
they would appear to have no need for additional space.

What am I missing here?
--
Jim Browning