Re: Class "B" forsale (fwd)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sun Mar 09 12:59:31 1997

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, David R. Conrad wrote:
>
> > >	The way I see it, it is worth no more than $10,000. As that is what
> > >ARIN is going to charge any corp to get a Class B.
> >
> > How much is your time (spent making up and writing the justification for
> > a class B) worth?
>
> I think you miss my point, since the ARIN is for all intents and purposes
> selling address space, who are they to say no?

But ARIN is *NOT* selling address space. That is not the intent of ARIN
nor is it the purpose of ARIN. With that thought in mind, try reading
through the material at http://www.arin.net once again.

> doing, but I certainly can't say anything 'wrong' about it either.

Read RFC2050. It has this statement

   7.  The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another must be
       approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain
       the IP address must meet the same criteria as if they were
       requesting an IP address directly from the IR.

> I change all the records to point to them, swip it out to them, basically do
> everything needed to make them the legitimate 'owners' of that block, they
> pay me a nice lump of cash and we're both happy.

According to that clause above, you can't SWIP it out to them without
lying. Lying is wrong. According to the above clause, the new owner has to
meet the same criteria for receiving address space as you do. If they
did meet those criteria and if you charge them more than the cost of
applying for free address space then you are ripping them off which is
wrong.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]