Firewall in Routers??

  • From: Tim Crowell
  • Date: Mon Mar 03 15:26:37 1997

With all of the recent attacks against ISP services, has anybody
considered implementing Checkpoint Firewalls into the CISCO 7513s to
front end all traffic from the Internet?

Although in theory this sounds feasible from a security standpoint I'm
not sure I am comfortable with the processing power that would be
required and having anything looking at every packet.  It seems that
this would introduce a significant latency into the routing of the
traffic (which is the function of a router or at least it used to be). I
prefer to let my routers route.

Interested in any and all ideas on the subject.

--
Tim Crowell - GTE Intelligent Network Services
[email protected]		Voice: 214.751.3881