Re: "routing table slots" and the real problem

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Sun Mar 02 13:08:39 1997

At 12:09 PM 3/2/97 -0500, Mike O'Dell wrote:

>The REAL problem is the growing complexity of the ROUTING COMPUTATION,
>not the size of the resulting forwarding table.  even if routers
>had infinite memory, we would still be crushed by the routing
>computation if allowed to grow unchecked.

I have always subscribed to this fundamental concept; memory to
accommodate N number of routes has never been an operational
issue. As you have stated, it's the computational resources
required to calculate optimal paths when path information
changes. There is a linear relationship between the number of
paths & routes that must be parsed, and the amount of time it
takes to compute install the best one(s).

- paul