Re: BGP announcements and small providers

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Wed Feb 26 19:29:25 1997

	Would it make you happier if the "big guys", say MCI, Sprint, and
AGIS all agreed to force all their customers to renumber if they ever
changed their own upstream providers?

	The "big guys" don't have an 'upstream provider' so their
customers are never inconvenienced by any technical issues surrounding a
change of their provider's upstream provider. That's life.

	There are advantages and disadvantages of small versus large
providers. Small providers might change their upstreams. Small providers
typically have poorer network monitoring. Large providers tend to be more
vulnerable to routing instabilities. And on and on. These are not
operational issues though, as far as I can tell.

	DS