Re: BGP announcements and small providers

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Tue Feb 25 15:26:08 1997

At 10:50 AM 2/25/97 -0500, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>Well, without naming names, the prefix-length based filtering is
>done on non-customer routes. A byproduct of this is it grudgingly
>encourages aggregation.

Well, yes, but now that multiple providers are doing this the fact that
they are non-customer filters affects anyone who is not a customer of BOTH
providers, thus further encouraging people to aggregate.  I would not mind
seeing these filters become more prevalent, making it unreasonable for
people to become customers of everyone who filters to get around the
filters.  Renumbering is NOT that hard folks, and it DOES help.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services
ISP/C Director at Large