Re: F.Root-Servers.net and bogus data

  • From: John Hawkinson
  • Date: Mon Feb 24 18:31:14 1997

> So who runs F, and how do I politely ask them to check and see if they
> picked up their updates last Friday.  Contact listed for root-servers.net
> is [email protected]

WHOIS has contact information for individual root servers (as well
as all nameservers responsible for initial-level delegations). In general
this information is accurate and correct.

---cut
[all-purpose-gunk!jhawk] ~> whois f.root-servers.net
Internet Software Consortium (ISC)

   Hostname: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Address: 192.5.5.241
   System: DEC ALPHA running BIND 4.9.5

   Host Administrator:
      Vixie, Paul  (PV15)  [email protected]
      +1 415 747 0204

   Domain Server

   Record last updated on 09-Oct-96.

To see this host record with registered users, repeat the command with
a star ('*') before the name; or, use '%' to show JUST the registered users.

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.
---cut

It's worth noting that during the recent problems with H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
contact information in WHOIS was not useful during off-hours. That has been
rectified and the info for H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is now up-to-date.

> At the risk of starting another flame war, does this make F the One FALSE
> Root Server?

Please let's fight to keep the nanog signal-to-noise ratio better than it is.
You should do your part.

--jhawk