Re: while i'm on the subject of filtering, here's today's list of spammers

  • From: Robert Laughlin
  • Date: Wed Feb 19 23:41:02 1997

I am confused, how would filtering at the smtp port on source address
work?  If delivery fails, does not the sender often use MX records and
send via an intermediary host?  If so the source address is lost unless
all the MX hosts have the same filter list.  And in any case I believe
that typically sendmail will accept email from anyone for delivery to
anyone.  So a spammer could scatter his emails all over the Internet thru
thousands of intermediate hosts, if he used the right software to do it.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin

DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412