Re: while i'm on the subject of filtering, here's today's list of spammers

  • From: Racer X
  • Date: Wed Feb 19 18:41:37 1997

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> if you're listed and think you shouldn't be, give me a call (you can't send
> me mail).  and yes, these same thieves are also prevented from reaching the
> F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET host, but lack of reachability to one NS doesn't break
> their service.

It's still childish and unfair.  And if everyone does this, then sooner or
later someone's going to get blocked because they said something nasty
about the root server operator's mother or something equally trite.  I
don't want to cry "free speech" but it will eventually become that kind of
issue.

I also fail to see how blocking them from one server restricts spammers in
any way.  Explain that one to me.

> why in the world are we discussing this on NANOG?

I've no idea.  Perhaps you should have sent it to the individuals who are
blocked instead (esp. considering most of them probably don't subscribe),
or just not at all. I don't really care about spam domains, unless they
spam me - in which case I procmail them into oblivion and that's that.
This "fight spam" campaign is only serving to reinforce the belief that
mass marketing via the net is working.  If everyone just ignored the mail,
the problem would go away.

shag

Judd Bourgeois          PGP key ID 0xEDC21CA1
[email protected]   25DDE4AF C5AFEF51 6905DC77 360F0387
To all my friends - It's not the end
The earth has not swallowed me yet - 311, "Freak Out"