Re: Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

  • From: Brett L. Hawn
  • Date: Tue Feb 18 19:23:12 1997

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Matt Ranney wrote:

> > BTW, churn is the right word.  Its taking anywhere from 5-10 *seconds* to
> > come back as NXDOMAIN on each request for those that fail to resolve, and
> > this is from the IANA roots.
>
> So aside from programs like yours, who ever asks for domains that
> aren't in use?

Plenty of folks do, some gomer registers a domain, doesn't tell his upstream
about it, doesn't do DNS for it, but hands out an email address of
[email protected]*&^ed.domain.com, they try and email him.. you get the picture. Day
after day we see dozens of lame delegation errors. Very often for the same
domains time and time again. I don't usually agree with Karl but in this
case he's right.

> > This IS a functional problem - and worse, all those non-existant zones and
> > the VM churn they generate on the COM TLD servers is probably the REASON
> > that we're looking at this kind of horrid performance!
>
> Thats fair, I guess.  Perhaps some of those $100 in fees for unused
> domains could be used to buy more RAM for root server operators.

Or better yet, to teach the idiots at NSI how to maintain a database.

[-]                Brett L. Hawn (blh @ nol dot net)                       [-]
[-]                Networks On-Line - Houston, Texas                       [-]
[-]                           713-467-7100                                 [-]