Re: F means filtered ?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Tue Feb 18 14:30:57 1997

Paul wrote:

> Yes, I do.  I have no opinion on whether spammers should or should not be
> able to reach any given root name server, including "mine", but for the time
> being I lack the hardware needed to firewall f.root-servers.net differently
> than I do the rest of my network.

Uh, that is a serious issue.

If you filter the root server that you run according to your "spam list",
then you are not providing a public service on equal footing to all comers.

I dislike spam and UCE as much as the next person, but I find this kind of
policy statement and implementation abhorrent when you're talking about a
*public* resource.

If you wish to do that its fine with me, but then F.root-servers.net needs
to be replaced by a machine which is not subject to these filters.

Root servers aren't private things, expecially when you hold them out to the
public...

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "[email protected]" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal