Re: [NANOG] RFC1918 conformance

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 06:23:24 1997

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Dana Hudes wrote:

> Gated allows you to specify the ospf router id. AS others have mentioned
> so does Bay.  Out of curiousity, is anyone running anything other than
I know it well (really we have few gated-based routers there). Let me to
point my mind - it may be usefull to have short reserved address space in
the beginning (net 1.0.0.0) and the end (223.255.0.0/16 or simular)
address space. CISCO's router-id was used as amazing example _why it mey
be usefull_.

> Cisco, Bay or something with GateD (which includes IBM 6611, Netstat
> Gigarouter and a few others which escape recall at the moment) for
> routing in the Internet (not private nets; I know that Mitsubishi
> Electric Corp of America uses IBM 6611 and some 2210, all with backlevel
> software).
>
> Dana
>

> On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:58:30 +0300 (MSK)
> > From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <[email protected]>
> > To: "Jeffrey C. Ollie" <[email protected]>
> > Cc: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [NANOG] RFC1918 conformance

> > > No, that's an example of a poorly designed protocol
> > > implementation. One ought to be able to specify an arbitrary router id
> > > for OSPF (heh - even Bay routers can do that :) rather that relying on
> > > such an odd algorithm. I was so surprised by this that I just had to go
> > > look it up:
> > I know _it's example of poorly designet software_. But I'd like to note
> > it's not only example when it's usefull to have some addresses _greater
> > than any other_ for private usage.
> >
> > > <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/software/11_2/cnp1/5ciprout.htm#REF38888>
> > >
> > > The equivalent Bay reference:
> > >
> > > <http://support.baynetworks.com/Library/tpubs/content/114065A/J_55.HTM#HEADING55-6>
> > >
> > Yes, I was more surprised when they (cisco) did not implement something
> > like _ip ospf router-id A.B.C.D_ into new IOS 11.2. We have 3 or 4
> > routing troubles due to this IOS property (and it always looked as
> > _hidden bug_ because it is si,ular to the delayed bomb - it explodes 1
> > week below some mistake was made in the config files -:)).

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)