Re: FW: IAHC/IANA Verdict

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Wed Feb 05 15:04:45 1997
  • Phone: (617) 873-4398
  • Usmail: 150 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge, MA, 02140

At 12:49 2/5/97, Jim Fleming wrote:

>In the "darwinian" world of the Internet, it is important for the
>entire Internet community to select only the "best of the net", as
>the net expands.
>
>In the interest of making progress and getting people to focus on
>the large administrative and technical tasks facing everyone that
>really operate the Internet, I suggest that we debate which of the
>above names have merit and have registries standing behind them
>ready to support them.
>
>In my opinion, only the .WEB Top Level Domain qualfies for
>consideration at this time. If people know of other registries
>that have stepped forward to support any of the other TLDs,
>please speak up.

Jim,

  I don't know if I qualify as one of the folks who
  "really operate the Internet", but I'd like to point
  out that we have customers who would like to have
  a readable, logical domain name and willing to be
  outside of ".com".  Each of these domains seems to
  be well-thought out and I don't think they will be
  any shortage of users or candidate registries.

  If you need to know that there will be a registry
  for each new gTLD, then I'm willing to run any of
  them that cannot otherwise find a home.

/John