Re: Internet vs. Telephone company

  • From: Jeremy Porter
  • Date: Mon Feb 03 16:11:09 1997

In message <[email protected]>, "Kent W. England" wri
tes:
>At 05:28 PM 31-01-97 -0800, Bharat Ranjan wrote:
>>
>>Check out a product called 'Internet Thruway" that routes a call based
>>on the Called Number. The idea is for telcos to implement this product
>>as a back-end to their access network so calls being made to a Thruway
>>provider never reach the voice network. It is instead sent (via IP and
>>L2F) directly to the ISP's network. SBC is already committed to
>>deploying this in parts of Texas.
>>

>It's a partial solution and expensive to implement. The data calls still
>have to go through at least the first voice switch.
>
>But it would be nice to receive packets rather than switched circuits
>and avoid the cost of building so many dial POPs, if the price is right.

Of course the current pricing I've seen its significantly more
expensive than other solutions.

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      [email protected]
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net