RE: Internet vs. Telephone company

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Feb 01 23:19:19 1997

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Paul J. Zawada wrote:

> As for ADSL, I have serious doubts as to whether or not the phone campanies
> understand what to do with the technology.  After they get xDSL local loops
> to everyone's home, will they know what to hook them up to?

According to the Telecom Act of 1996 they have to allow their competitor
to have access to those local loops so presumably many of them will be
connected up to an ISP-owned box colocated at the CO or in a nearby
location.

> and more trunks, or a parallel (ADSL-based perhaps) packet-switched network.

The telco's tend to favor ATM technology for this.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]