Re: Info on MAE-EAST

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Jan 17 02:52:03 1997

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> > This is probably a worst-case scenario. What about Ethernet cross-connects
> > using the 6 port cards? Or zero-mile T1's using the 8 port serial cards?

> Ethernet is a slightly different case but only slightly.  An ethernet switch
> costs a lot less than a GIGAswitch,

> the cost of peering, unless and only unless you already have a private
> interconnect to the unchosen peer.

I guess I was visualizing something quite different from current
exchanges. Rather than have an Ethernet switch I was thinking of using
Ethernet point-to-point. And the exchange point was more like a big colo
center in which you could set up as many private interconnects as you
want at the lowest possible cost (interface ports plus installing a cable
versus running T1's or DS3's across town).

The colo nature of such a beast would lead ISP's to install terminal
servers, web farms, etc which would have an effect on the topology.
Squid cache hierarchies would be nice here as well.

I'm not sure if this is a viable exchange point architecture yet but I
think it will be viable and useful as the Internet scales through the next
order of magnitude. My gut feel is that breaking out the traffic into lots
of smaller non-shared circuits will be easier to manage and less
susceptible to being swamped during overload conditions. Not that
overloading cannot occur but the effects would be more isolated than if
the overload occurs on a shared media.

I think that people would be interested in traffic flow data that would
either prove or disprove my theories.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]