Re: Questions about Internet Packet Losses

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Jan 16 13:35:06 1997

On January 16, 1997 at 01:01 [email protected] (Matt Ranney) wrote:
 > Barry Shein writes...
 > >
 > [...]
 > > 3. In order for an email message to pass over port 52 it must have a
 > > header which reads:

 > > or similar (X-PUCE-CHARTER:). Otherwise, it's just dropped on the
 > > floor. Remember that this is the new port.
 > >
 > > 4. Abuse of that header is a litigable trademark violation (we get
 > > this set up with lawyers, but akin to DC comics or the Good
 > > Housekeeping Seal.)
 > [...]
 >
 > You can trademark the use of a TCP port?  Are you sure?

It's not the port which is trademarked, just the use of the
organization's name in that header and the claim that the email is
compliant with the organization's charter.

Think "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" or "Underwriter's
Laboratories".

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.std.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989