Re: Questions about Internet Packet Losses

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Tue Jan 14 05:58:47 1997

Tony,

Thanks for posting some useful raw data.  A clarification -- in some
messages, you say you've stripped headers, but is unclear if you did so in
your top 10 table.

If so, 41 sounds reasonable for noncompressed-header Telnet, with the 44,
52, 48, 56, etc., sizes, as a guess, to a rounded-up transmission buffer.
44 in implementation where memory is allocated/managed in 4 byte quanta, 52
in 8 byte quanta, etc.

Silly question, at 5AM...MSS is one of those acronyms I use for its own
convenience and beauty, without really stopping to think what it stands
for...Mean Segment Size?