Re: Re: Thanks to all--medical emergency under control

  • From: ALAN DORN HETZEL JR
  • Date: Wed Jan 08 07:42:34 1997

From:	INDIGO::DORN         "ALAN DORN HETZEL JR"  8-JAN-1997 08:31:17.05
To:	MX%"[email protected]"
CC:	DORN
Subj:	Re: Thanks to all--medical emergency under control

> I think the way we would handle privacy issues here is that if we received
> such a request to locate one of our customers, we would pass the customers
> location information directly to local law enforcement along with the
> request we had received.  This way, the requestor cannot use such a claim
> to learn private information of our customer, but yet our local cops could
> provide assistance if it's really required...

This would be great if the Police didn't use radios that everyone has
scanners for. This is the same as cracking - if you can prompt a
legitatimate query which creates a legitimate response then you can
snoop the session.

...until the police finally get better radios. Apologies to those of you
who live in countries where the police have caught on to this.

	I think I would be willing to take that risk.  Life is not
	perfect and I cannot prevent every possible leak of data;
	someone could break into our offices and steal all the computers
	and the information on it; they could do it with guns and shoot
	all my employees too; this doesn't mean I won't keep any
	computers or information in my office...

	If I give information to the police and they manage to lose
	control of it, it is unfortunate, but I would just have to
	consider it outside the scope of what I have available worry
	cycles for...

	-Dorn