Re: Domain names for ISP infrastructure links

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Wed Jan 08 05:37:12 1997

>> That may sound silly, but there's a merit in the
>> idea that domain names can successfully replace the
>> SNMP's object IDs.  SNMP and DNS then become the same
>> protocol.

>Cool. I can now dream of a day when nslookup for a router returns something
>lovely like:

>1.3.6.1.2.1.11

>-dorian ;)

Nah, that's when your network monitor sends query for an
integer number RR to

   in-bytes.0.0.ethernet.interface.cisco0.san-jose.halter.net

and when you type "mail [email protected]" you generate
request to

   postmaster.mail.halter.net

when you do "netscape http://halter.net/funpages-dir/funpage.html";
then  mozilla version 100219382973.117 retrieves

   html.funpage.funpages-dir.http.halter.net

and when you do "cat //rodan.halter.net/mnt1/ftp/pub/junk/README"
some global NFS opens file at

   README.junk.pub.ftp.mnt1.nfs.rodan.halter.net

and when your command is "telnet rodan.halter.net" the
DNS will get to

   login.rodan.halter.net.

Note that all names are constructed using the simple rule:

--vadim