Re: Domain names for ISP infrastructure links

  • From: Rob Liebschutz
  • Date: Tue Jan 07 19:38:36 1997

> > > I'm puzzled. Connections go from router to router. How does it help to say
> > > routerb-x-y-z-routerc.blah.net when routerc will show up as the next hop in
> > > the traceroute?
> >
> > I think it will help when routerc fails to show up as the next hop :)
>
> No.

Actually yes.  At first I had the same thought that you did, but
knowing which router the packet was supposed to have come from makes
it easy to tell from the output of a traceroute weather the routing
changed in the middle.  Having to use IP addresses to figure this out
is much more work.  On the other hand, I do question the idea of
trying to cram all this info into the the interface names in the DNS.