Re: Domain names for ISP infrastructure links

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Tue Jan 07 12:15:10 1997

> So how do we name internal links in a way that is usefull for
> all operators, and conforms to the A-Z 0-9 and "-" and can
> be proposed as an RFC?

Well, here's what I suggested to UUNET and Genuity, which they mostly did:

To: [email protected]
Subject: please change your PTR RRs
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 06:38:08 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <[email protected]>

traceroute all over the world will soon show only IP addresses for
alternet routers.

alternet's router PTR RR names all have slash (/) and/or underbar (_)
characters in them.  BIND 4.9.4 considers these names "bad", per the
CERT announcement earlier this year.  please fix your names.  what i
use on my cisco backbones are names of the form:

where

		fddi0		-> f0		(no port number)
		ethernet2/3	-> e2-3
		hssi4.21	-> h4-21	(subinterface 21)
	note that <iface> is optional since the router's loopback
	interface address (for IBGP) will just be the router's name.

	<router> is something like "CR2".

	<pop> is something like "DCA1".

	<toplev> is something like "alter.net".

thus

	106.Hssi4/0.CR2.DCA1.Alter.Net  ->  h4-106.cr2.dca1.alter.net