Re: URGENT: Operational Integrity Problem with IQ-INTERNET.COM

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 22:42:45 1997

On January 3, 1997 at 18:17 [email protected] (Michael Dillon) wrote:
 > On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
 >
 > > providers including Sprint.  The question in my mind is increasingly not
 > > what is in the source client's mind, but whether the traffic is violating
 > > Sprint's usage policies.
 >
 > Yes it is. They claim that you can be removed from their mailing lists
 > by replying with "NO MAIL" as the subject line, but it does not work.
 > I just received another SPAM from them.

Once more, it's not spam, it is clearly an out of control process, it
continues sending thousands and thousands of messages even when they
are all refused by a site, for 48+ hours, and no administrator at the
source site acknowledges the problem, there's no reason to even
believe anyone is there (you get an answering machine, email is
unanswered, etc.)

That's a technical/operational problem (or has to be treated as such.)

IQ-INTERNET.COM should be blocked until they indicate that they are
credibly in control of their software.

It is impossible for me to believe that they can be allowed to claim
that they are doing something purposeful and within their rights when
we can show that for 48 hours they have sent thousands of messages,
several per minute, which have all been returned with errors.

That's like believing a guy driving down a hill without brakes is
merely in a rush.

Look, even Spam-King Slaton, the best living argument for post-natal
abortion, can have a bug forcing his site's connectivity to be shut
down. It happens, and it's even more likely to happen at a site like
his where he prefers unattended operation involving sending out, I
assume, millions of email msgs automatically.

Let's try hard to get our collective heads out of our collective
asses, OK? We all know what a loop out of control is.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.std.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989