Re: URGENT: Operational Integrity Problem with IQ-INTERNET.COM

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 22:09:07 1997

Today seems to be my day for cluttering up NANOG with world-scope problems:

> > providers including Sprint.  The question in my mind is increasingly not
> > what is in the source client's mind, but whether the traffic is violating
> > Sprint's usage policies.
>
> Yes it is. They claim that you can be removed from their mailing lists
> by replying with "NO MAIL" as the subject line, but it does not work.
> I just received another SPAM from them.

I refuse to remove myself from every spam list that gets made.  That would
be several per day, 365 days per year, soon to to be dozens per day.
Rather, I expect users to behave themselves and I expect ISP's to educate
their users to behave themselves (or cut them off if they won't) and I
expect NSP's to cut off ISP's who won't educate and control their user
populations.

"Receiver pays" isn't just a direct marketing panacea, it's a license to
remove people from your routing table if they won't stop wasting your money.

http://www.vix.com/spam/ has more details.  (Note that I don't run that page,
I just host it.)