Re: Sprint's slashes (was Re: Anybody from PSI?!?!?!)

  • From: Brett L. Hawn
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 18:39:22 1997

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Dima Volodin wrote:

> Well, it's a good question :-)
>
> Anyway, we are unlikely to change this stuff until it gets annoying for
> ousrselves, sorry.

So what we're seeing here is Sprints refusal to follow standards simply
because they are too lazy(?) to fix things.

> On the other note - MHO is it was a Bad Idea to put these checks into the
> resolver library. No objections towards having it as an option in the code for
> primary zones in name servers, though.

I think I'm going to have to ask you to lay down the calculator and grab the
wall on this one. Sprints failure to follow specifications does't mean that
we shouldn't point them out and call them on it.  Anyone's willing to give
you a little leeway, I'll grant that, but face it, you've been (and are
continuing to) breaking RFC and its certainly not the fault of the BIND
team. They're doing their best to create something that works and from what
you just said, Sprint is doing their best to tell them 'go to hell, we don't
care about the rest of the internet'. This smacks of a Sean Doran'ism where
Sprint is an almighty god figure and nobody else matters.

> Dima
>
> Bradley Dunn writes:
> >
> > Hi Dima,
> >
> > Since you are from Sprint and we're talking about DNS... When does Sprint
> > plan to fix the slashes, "/", in the names for your router interfaces?
> > Newer resolver libraries refuse to return hostnames with invalid
> > characters.
> >
> > This obviously isn't a critical issue, but it is annoying when none of the
> > Sprint hops in a traceroute resolve to a name.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -BD
> >
> > On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Dima Volodin wrote:
> >
> > [stuff about c.root-servers.net being broken]

[-]                Brett L. Hawn (blh @ nol dot net)                       [-]
[-]                Networks On-Line - Houston, Texas                       [-]
[-]                           713-467-7100                                 [-]